Nigerian Chef, Hilda Baci Set To Break Guinness World Cooking Record (Everything You Need To Know)
Hilda Baci, a Nigerian Chef and owner of MyFoodByHilda Restaurant is currently attempting to break the Guinness World Record for the longest cooking time by an individual.
Currently at over 60 hours, the 27- years old will be cooking for 96 hours to beat the current record of 87 hours and 45 minutes.
Hilda’s cook-a-thon is taking place at Amore Garden, Lekki, Lagos, and guests are welcome to participate through various side attractions.
Hilda Bassey Effiong, who hails from Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria will be cooking for 4 days non-stop.
What you should know about the competition
There are some conditions which Hilda must fulfil to enable her bag the world class record of the longest cooking chef, some of which are:
- She must stand to cook; she is not permitted to sit while cooking.
- She’s not allowed to take coffee, stimulants, or any energy drink to artificially boost her energy and bodily strength while cooking.
- She’s allowed to eat food, drink water or fruit juice, and take glucose.
- She cooks round the clock, no sleep (Morning, afternoon, evening, and night. So, for 4 nights, she won’t sleep).
- She has just 5 minutes’ rest per hour [meaning for every 1 hour, she is entitled to just 5 minutes rest or break, that’s an hour break in every 12 hours].Other sources claim she gets a 30-minute break every 6 hours, she spends the 30mins in a medical van which is just close by, within which she can nap, use the restroom, and also get a medical assessment or checkup by the medical team available on the spot.
- Whatever she cooks is shared to the people at the venue for FREE. She is not selling the food.
- She cooks different meals simultaneously. She is at liberty to cook any meal she likes. There are no restrictions as to what she can cook or not cook. The World Record title is about cooking within a time frame, not about what is cooked. As long as she is cooking, she is on track.
- Every meal cooked and every plate served is recorded.
So far, Hilda has cooked over 115 meals so far with almost 3,000 portions if not more.
The record breaking chef started the cooking on Thursday and is expected to complete the target time frame by Monday 15th May, 2023.
The current holder of the title Hilda seeks to break is an Indian chef Lata Tandon, who set a Guinness World Record for cooking for 87 hours and 45 minutes non-stop in 2019.
To break the record, Hilda Baci is attempting to cook for 96 hours, using extra 9 hours to break the world record as the first human on earth to spend such an amount of time cooking a marathon.
She tagged the cooking project “Cook-a-thon”, a phrase literally coined from the word “marathon”
She appears exhausted already, but the people around her are cheering her on to boost her morale. And they are available with her as she cook 24/7, even at night.
Most of the food items, ingredients, utensils, etc she used for this project are provided by her sponsors. So, the money expended on this project is not 100% from Hilda or her Food brand.
Uber, one of her partners is offering a 40% discounted ride to the venue for people who wishes to join and cheer her up at the venue.
Hilda’s mum is also a chef. She owes a food brand called “Calabar Pot”.